Saturday, August 22, 2015

Baseball Butts--a topic dear to my heart

At Slate.com, an interesting blog entry: 

What Can You Learn From Staring at a Baseball Player's Butt?


"You don’t see a lot of good power hitters or good pitchers that generate arm speed that don’t have a good, high butt on them," Showalter said on ESPN's Baseball Tonight. And who, according to Showalter, best exemplifies high-buttedness? Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee. "I don’t want to say he’s got a perfect butt, but when I look at it I say, Wow."


Me too!

While an article about Roy Halladay, linked to from the above link, informs us:
There is an adage among scouts that the shape of a player's butt helps project what the prospect will become. Kids with flat butts generally don't fill out much. Kids with a curved butt will add strength to their framewhat the scouts call good weight. "Roy looked like he could easily carry another 15 to 20 pounds," says Mike Arbuckle, who ran the draft for the Phillies then and now is a senior adviser to the general manager in Kansas City.


Roy Halliday

I had no idea my favorite pastime was also so key to understanding the game.

1 comment:

  1. I have always thought guys looked good in a baseball uniform----I am not speaking spesifically (sp) of a guys butt----A baseball uniform just makes most guys look good----I do not know why

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts